Favourites | July 2017

June was a bit of a rough month for me, but I really managed to bounce back in July. I have made some changes in my life this month and I am having a great time! Life is good, y'all. So I thought I will do a Favourite's post for July so I can look back and remember the things which have contributed to my changed attitude.



1. Fashion // Winter layers

It has been just a tad bit chilly (okay, maybe a lot chilly) in Melbourne the past month, and when the usual layering tricks got boring, I had to look for something different. Plus, I love my puffer vests, but I have been wearing my coat every day. To fix this, I started wearing my J Crew Factory puffer vest under my navy pea coat for extra warmth around the torso. As I mentioned in my previous post, it has become my new go-to. 

2. New thing // Ballet

I started taking adult beginner ballet classes and this is the main thing which has helped boost my mood this month. Like most little girls growing up, I took tap, ballet and jazz classes when I was younger. I stopped around the end of Grade 1 because we moved to a different town but as I have gotten older I kind of wished that I didn't give up ballet. When I found out that The Australian Ballet does casual classes (including a beginner level!), I signed up as quick as I could. I take classes once a week in the actual studios the Australian Ballet Company practices in and it is truly one of the highlights of my week. This week we even got to watch a little bit of the Australian Ballet Company's rehearsal for Alice in Wonderland! 

3. Art // Greater Together at Australian Centre for Contemporary Art

My favourite exhibition I saw this month is the latest exhibition at ACCA, Greater Together. I think it is actually my favourite show from ACCA all year. The exhibition looks at ideas of work and working together. The connection I found most interesting is climate change, and how looking after the environment is an effort of the global community as presented in Bik Van der Pol's Letters to the Land. The exhibition also features a conceptual retail project in conjunction with the exhibition called WORK/SHOP and you know I'm a sucker any crossover between art and fashion, so how could I not love it? The exhibition is on until 17th September and I highly recommend it. 



4. Music // A/W Night Commute playlist

Something not a lot of people may not know about me is that for a small period during high school I wanted to be a music supervisor. It may have something to do with the fact that I watched One Tree Hill throughout high school (which greatly influenced my music taste), but I always believed in having the right music to suit the mood. Even now, I create seasonal playlists - one for Spring/Summer and one for Autumn/Winter. This year I have a separate playlist just to listen to the evening commute during Autumn/Winter, and it has been the best during July. Claire calls it my "Aesthetic" playlist because it has the perfect tunes to dramatically stare out the train window during twilight. The songs which I want to give a shout out to are: The Man by The Killers, Arty Boy by Flight Facilities and Emma Louise, Loyal Like Sid & Nancy by Foster The People and Lovelife by Phoenix.

5. Movie // Baby Driver

Speaking of having the correct music to suit the mood/situation, let's talk about Baby Driver. Claire and I love going to the movies. So many movies we were anticipating came out in July, we found ourselves at the cinema every week. Baby Driver is hands down my fave we saw though. There is just something about the film I loved. I have always been a fan of Lily James, and her southern accent was the best. The music coordination was my favourite though. It was so clever how they edited the songs and the timing is aces. It was just overall an entertaining film and I recommend it 100%. 

No comments