What's Classier Than Wine, Cheese and Talking About Art?

My best friend, Miriam, has suggested to me on multiple occasions that I should write a few posts about preppy things that you can do in Melbourne, so I thought that I might start with an area that, as an art history major, is something I am passionate about and can completely fit in with the prep life.


From first impressions, taking in my physical appearance, I do not fit in with the regular Art World (the capitalisation seems necessary) crowd at all. It is a running joke I like to laugh about with my friends, that where most of the people my age in the art world are artists themselves, my place is more similar to the women on the Upper East Side who are on the board at the Frick to pass the time. This joke may stem from the fact that I have watched The Nanny Diaries too many times...

When I first started my regular gig volunteering at an art gallery, for the first six months I would always try to dress as artsy my wardrobe allowed me. This however, only contributed to my feeling uncomfortable and like I do not belong in the art world, which was really upsetting considering how much I really, really love art. Although, I have now learned to accept who I am, and embrace the art world wholeheartedly while still dressing, and being, myself. Who cares if I am not an artist myself and I dress like a soccer mum? I am so passionate about art that it shouldn't, and doesn't, matter. And let me tell you, y'all, I love art. Deciding to major in art history is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

How does this fit in with living the preppy life in Melbourne, Australia? Well, as I said to my mother after coming home from volunteering at an art event, "what is classier than wine, cheese and talking about art?" And let me tell you, there is so much wine and cheese in the art world. I am not going to lie, it is the moments that involve drinking wine and discussing art with people that makes me feel at home. Art is for everyone, including preps. Preppies love tradition and the aspects of life that are timeless. Art is definitely timeless, as art has been around since the beginning of time with drawings on cave walls. Another joke I have like to laugh about is that Art History is a major women declare just so they can be at university and meet their future husbands. Uber prep.

There is a great art scene in Melbourne, and you don't have to be artsy, or rich, to enjoy it. If you want to have a taste of the art life by attending an event, I suggest having a look at all of the various art galleries around Melbourne and keep track of any events and public programs they offer. Apart from the NGV, exhibition openings across Melbourne are usually free, including a large number of artists talks and other fun programs. Then there is the act of just going to visit an art gallery and looking at art.


My picks:


No comments