School Spirit in Gingham

This Sunday is the Australian Boat Race, where The University of Melbourne and University of Sydney battle (or rather, row) it out on the Yarra river. It is basically Australia's Harvard-Yale Boat Race. I am such a fan of rowing. There is something about watching the boats glide along the river which makes me feel serene. For those who don't know, I graduated from The University of Melbourne last year and whenever the Australian Boat Race comes around I always feel the school spirit. Although, I do have a confession to make... I have never made it to the race! During Uni I was too busy studying or was working when it was on. I was so excited to be invited to the race as an Alumni this year. I thought this would finally be my chance to make it! Alas, the race collides with my parents visiting Claire and I in Melbourne and let's say my parents don't share my enthusiasm for rowing. There's always next year! 

Even though I am not making it to the river this weekend, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to plan a fun outfit for the event in the Melbourne Uni colours, navy and white. 


Dress: Kiel James Patrick | Hat: University of Melbourne | Belt: H&M | Sandals: Jack Rogers (on sale!) | Bag: Longchamp | Sunglasses: Rubi (the only sunglasses which look good on me!)

I am sure you can tell from my face in these photos how psyched I am about this dress! I am obsessed with blue and white gingham and have been on the hunt for a gingham shirt dress for a while. I searched high and low for a gingham shirt dress locally, but did not have much luck. So, I took the plunge on the dress which pretty much every preppy blogger owns, the Kiel James Patrick shirt-dress. I did splurge a little, but trust me, it is definitely worth it. The quality is amazing! Plus, I ordered this dress online and had the dress shipped internationally to Australia within like three days. I didn't even pay for express shipping. I was amazed. The material is so soft, it is the perfect length (I like my hems on the shorter side, but still long enough to be comfortable), it has pockets, and not pictured is the most adorable scalloped collar. 

To keep with the Melbourne Uni colours of navy and white, I paired the dress with my new Jack Rogers sandals. I am so excited to finally own a pair of these shoes. They have been on my wishlist since I started on this whole preppy journey. I love them because they are a perfect mixture of a thong and a sandal - the perfect Summer shoe! I am looking forward to wearing them straight from being lakeside then to dinner when I'm visiting my parents in Yarrawonga this Summer. 

School spirit or not, I can easily see this outfit being my favourite during the rest of Spring and the upcoming Summer. Including the baseball cap! It is perfect for brunching with friends, browsing a market or visiting the beach. I might even bring it out this weekend with my parents.

Will you be heading to the Australian Boat Race on Sunday? 

No comments