Favourites | January 2017

I haven't done a Favourite's post in a while, and January was such a good month that I wanted to think back on the last four weeks. From starting a new job, catching up with old friends (and making new ones), to getting in to the very early stages of planning a trip overseas, January of 2017 was a great start to the year! 


1. New thing // My new job

Yes, I am going there.  I am calling my job a 'favourite'. For those who do not know, I started my first full time job, working at the front desk at a co-working space in the city, at the very beginning of January (I am talking the first working day of the year!). Everyone at my new job has been really kind and welcoming to me. A few of them even know about my blog and are very supportive! I feel extremely lucky to have been able to find a job I enjoy so close after graduating Uni.

2. Fashion // Silk scarves 

If you caught my outfit post last week, you would have seen that silk scarves are making a comeback, and I have been loving it this past month. In particular, I have been tying a red, white and blue knot-wrap scarf from Lush around the handle of my navy longchamp, and it has been such a cute addition to my daily look. 

3. Art // Melbourne's Summer of Black Art

Melbourne has really been embracing contemporary Indigenous art this Summer and I am so proud of my city! Broadsheet Melbourne wrote a great article sharing all of the exhibitions around the city on right now that are showing art by first nation's people of Australia. Each of these exhibitions work towards changing the public's idea of what Aboriginal art looks like - it is not all dot paintings! My top pick is Sovereignty at ACCA and Land of All, featuring the art of Sally Gabori. 

4. Movie // Jackie

Making reference to yet another one of my blog posts from this month (not-so shameless promotion), I was anticipating the release of the biopic, Jackie, which followed Jackie Kennedy during the time between the assassination of her husband JFK, and his funeral. Claire and I went and saw the movie the first week it came out, and I was blown away. The movie used horror movie techniques with the film shots, and also in the score and it was so effective! I also loved how they made it look like they used archive footage. I am so upset it didn't actually get a Best Picture nomination for the Oscars. Natalie Portman really deserves the Best Actress award too! 

5. TV Show // Buffy The Vampire Slayer

After finishing Sex and the City at the end of last year, Claire and I started watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer as our next show to watch together. As I now work full time, and Claire working at night (plus having the energy to go out at night during the week), we don't find many opportunities to sit down and watch a few episodes together. Last weekend I really needed a relaxing weekend, so we spent our Friday, Saturday and Sunday night's sitting on the couch and watching Buffy. Surprisingly, I am loving it! Who would have thought? 

6. Music // Yuna 

I first started listening to Yuna a few years ago when I started Uni, and then for some reason I stopped. In January I decided to listen to her artist page on Spotify again and I just fell in love with her music again. My way to describe her music is that her albums span from sounding like my go-to genre of "It could be (or probably was in) a 00's/early 2010's rom-com" with her early albums to her latest album having a chill RnB/Solange sound.


No comments