A Melbourne Weekend

Melbourne is one of my favourite places in the world. Well, so far... I haven't been everywhere yet! So when I was talking to my friend Devon (btw she just started a blog, go check it out!) and she suggested I should write a blog post on things to do in Melbourne, I knew that I had to do it. It was the perfect timing too, as my parents visited for the Queen's Birthday long weekend and we had the most Melbourne weekend ever. We actually did everything on my list of the perfect weekend.

(who wants to count how many times I just "weekend" in that intro?)

Things to do
Brunch like a Melbournian


My brunch at Tusk, Chapel St


Every Saturday and Sunday morning you will find every café and restaurant that is even the little bit "trendy" filled with families, friends and couples getting their brunch on. It is no secret that brunch has turned into an event all around the world. However, no one knows how to do brunch better than Melbourne does. Those who have been around since the early stages of this blog will know that I have even written a seperate blog post about it! Even the dishes on the menu are reaching a whole other level. Just check out this list of 50 brunch dishes to try in Melbourne. 

Go to an AFL game



Carlton v GWS at Etihad Stadium


Melbournians love their footy - including me. There is something about AFL season that totally transforms the city. The city gets busy with people walking around wearing their scarves and beanies as people head off to the multiple games that are held every weekend. During our trip home from our last footy game, Claire and I had at least three people yell "Go the Blues!" when they saw us wearing our Carlton scarves. Even if you are not a fan of football or sport in general, attending a football game is a must just to experience the tradition and atmosphere of it all. 

Visit the National Gallery of Victoria (NGV)

Muni Rita Simpson, Yimiri, 2008 from the exhibition Who's Afraid of Colour? at NGV Australia until 16th July.

Van Gogh, The garden of the asylum at Saint-Rèmy, 1889, from the exhibition Van Gogh and The Seasons at NGV International until 12 July.

I may be biased for this next one since I have a degree in art history, but visiting the NGV (both Australia and International) is a must when visiting Melbourne. Even without my personal self-interest in art, the NGV is one of the top 25 most visited museums in the world and there is a reason for that. The NGV always attracts visitors through their blockbuster exhibitions (currently Van Gogh and The Seasons which has just been extended!), but the permanent collection has some beautiful pieces which are definitely worth seeing. 


Go shopping in the CBD

At Bourke St Mall in December

Melbourne is a beautiful and diverse city with so many things to do, but whenever I am visiting a new place I always look forward to seeing what shopping it has on offer. It may be because I don't have a car, and I live only a 10 minute train ride to the city centre, but I always enjoy doing my shopping in the CBD. For the perfect shopping day I suggest catching the train to Flinders Street Station and starting on Flinders Lane, across to Collins St then hitting Bourke St Mall, walking through Myer or David Jones to The Emporium and ending with Melbourne Central. Or you could catch the city loop to Melbourne Central go the other direction. 

There are obviously so many great things to do in Melbourne, but these are just some of my favourite things. What do you love to do in your city?

Love from Australia,
Grace.

2 comments

  1. Love this! Australia is definitely on the bucket list! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You definitely need to come visit!

      Delete