Favourites | July 2016

Happy Sunday! 

July really flew by for me. I guess having a holiday smack bang in the middle of the month will do that to you. I started back at Uni last week for my final semester of my degree (!!) and had a whirlwind of nights volunteering. I am looking forward to August, as I always love the anticipation of wondering how the new semester will unfold. But I also have a few fun events planned for the month that I know are going to be great. But y'all just have to wait for next months' favourites, or follow along on social media, to see what they are.

However, there are so many things I loved, and currently love, in July.





1. Fashion // Primark Pyjamas

The Irish clothing retailer Primark is fairly infamous for being crazy busy and low prices. However, there is nothing I have heard about Primark more than their pyjamas. I knew that when I went to London I had to check out Primark's pyjamas section, and it did not disappoint in this perfect flannelette pyjama set I picked up. Firstly, of course England would still sell flanelette pyjama sets in the middle of Summer. Secondly, they're hot pink!! Thirdly, they have mini Daschunds on them!!! Need I say more?

2. Place // London

I don't wish to annoy you with any further discussion about my trip to London. We get it, it happened. It was amazing. Moving on! But I could not leave it out of my favourites post even if I wanted to. London was everything I thought it would be and more. As soon as we arrived I felt so comfortable, and that is not something that happens a lot when I travel to a new city, even in my own city of Melbourne! If that doesn't make it one of my favourite places in the world, then I don't know what would. 


I have been a fan of Ray LaMontagne for a few years now, but for some reason I never heard this song until the start of this month. As soon as I heard the opening horns, I knew I would love it. This song is so jazzy and happy. It definitely sounds like one of those songs you can dance to in the kitchen, you know? 


I have read two of Jennifer E. Smith's books before, which Claire and I actually own, so when I saw her new book as at the WHS Smith in Heathrow I knew that I had to get it. Mostly to complete the collection (we're missing only one, now), but also because I knew her books were light, enjoyable reads that would make it perfect for an in-flight read. I was right, because I read the book start to finish on the flight home to Melbourne. If you love books about the end of high school/moving off to college and feel like they could be a teen movie (think Paper Towns by John Green), then you will enjoy this book. 

5. Artwork // Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry, Nicky Phillips, 2009.

This portrait painted by Nicky Phillips is part of the permanent collection at the National Portrait Gallery in London. I had seen the image before, but when I saw it in person it just really struck me. It might be because I have seen my fair share of royal portraits that span over the centuries, but never had I seen a royal portrait such as this. Phillips' painting really had me thinking and suddenly I had so many ideas moving through my head of possible thesis ideas, if I ever decided to write one. 

6. TV Show // The Newsroom

Claire and I watched all of The Newsroom over 4 days before we went to London, and we became obsessed. It is witty, intense, and funny without being obvious about it. Ever since we saw Spotlight at the start of the year, we have been on a journalism kick. The show follows the newsroom of fictional cable news network, ACN, primetime news show Newsweek with Will McAvoy. For some reason, this show has really stuck with us, because the day we got back to Melbourne we went out and bought all three seasons on DVD and I started re-watching it. I guess with any show who's opening scene for the whole series is this (the Yosemite line gets me every time), you're going to be hooked.

BONUS: Movie // Sleepover (2004)

Considering Sleepover came out the same year as Mean Girls,  I think that it is safe to say that 2004 was a great year for movies. Claire and I watched Sleepover for the first time in years and seriously, this movie is possibly even more iconic than Mean Girls. Mean Girls has the quotes, yes, but if anything captures life in the 00's, it is Sleepover. I actually talked about it with my friend, Clare, over coffee this past week and she agrees that it is possibly one of the best 00's teen movies ever. It's on Netflix, so go watch it and remember the good times of when life was simple and there were cameras with sticker film. 

No comments