90's Inspired Neon Shift Dress

Something I always say is that even though I have a classic style, I can't help but be influenced by the fashion around me.  For me, this is the city of Melbourne. A city known for its dress codes of all-black, artsy quirks and grungy throwbacks. Currently, fashion is having a 90s moment and Melbourne is loving it! This shift dress definitely gives me 90's/early 00's vibes. The abstract splashes of colour which are almost neon is so fun and reminds me of my childhood. Plus, when paired with the classic silhouette of the shift, we have found something both Melbourne style and I can get on board with!  




I always have so much fun when I wear this dress as I channel my inner 90s kid. During the shoot, I struggled to stand still and just smile at the camera - so I kept on moving around. I think the resulting images are actually pretty great. Sometimes it's more about how you feel in the clothes than standing there and looking pretty. 


Dress: Lilly Pulitzer (no longer available) | Shoes: Jack Rogers

This dress is the Courtney shift from Lilly Pulitzer, an American brand I love (see here and here) for their brightly coloured shift dresses. Every year I always try to pick up a couple of dresses during their After Party Sale for the summer. I picked this one up during the sale last August, but I know that it was also featured in the most recent sale last week. I love the tie detail at the back, which I think makes it perfect for Summer! My only issue is that I could have gone for a size smaller. The back gapes slightly, and you can tell towards the middle there is extra fabric hanging around. Ahh the joys of online shopping with a no-returns on sale items policy!

If you wanted to lean into the 90's inspiration a little more, you could also style a dress like this with a pair of white sneakers, an oversized denim jacket and a backpack. It would be totally Melbourne! I almost wore that exact outfit for this post, but once I had it on, it didn't feel right to me. It wasn't anything I would wear personally and I always want to be my authentic self on this blog, so I went with how I would actually wear it - with a simple pair of white sandals. 

What is your favourite part about the 90s being back on trend? 

Love from Australia,
Grace.


2 comments

  1. Thanks! I love it too - definitely my favourite part of the dress. :)

    ReplyDelete