America vs. Australia | Brunch

The American and Australian lifestyles have their differences outside of fashion. You do not need me to tell you this, as it is fairly obvious in all aspects of life, and not just when it comes to being preppy. Now, would like to stress that I am inspired by the preppy lifestyle, and I am in no way changing every aspect of my life to become someone I am not. For example, as I was reading my copy of The Preppy Cookbook by Christine E. Nunn, in the chapter on brunch, Christine states that "Sunday brunch is perhaps the most important meal of the weekend for my people." Now this, I could get on board with. Who doesn't love brunch?! However, there is some differences between the American Preppy approach to brunch, and how we do it in Australia.
U.S: What I have gathered about the prep life is the importance of being appropriate and upholding social graces. With this, timing is very important. This, I can accept and definitely agreed with even before I started this journey. However, Christine E. Nunn states that the timing for Sunday brunch should start at 12:15pm(!), as 11:30 is too early and too far after noon would be too late.

AUS: Brunch should usually be around 10-10:30, 11 at the latest. Unless you find a place that does all-day breakfast, most cafe's change their menu from breakfast to lunch around 12. Showing up for brunch later gives the appearance of  being unplanned and can cause in the awkwardness of rushing to order before they change the menu.

U.S: Brunching in America is all about continuing the party from the night before. Bloody Mary's, mimosa's and Bellinis are the drinks of choice for the prep. As Christine says, brunch is just an excuse for "the drinking from Saturday night to continue with barely a break."

AUS: In Melbourne, brunch is all about coffee, organic smoothies, clean juices or even a pot of tea. The thought of drinking at brunch, while tempting, does not seem appropriate at all (at least in public). If you would like to drink alcohol, may I suggest skipping brunch and going out for lunch instead?

Where are your favourite places to brunch?

No comments