Melbourne Influenced Prep

Hello friends!

A big part of this blog is about showcasing how I, personally, adapt the American Preppy style in Australia. There is no doubt that no matter what your style is, there is still going to be influences from your own country and culture. So today I have an outfit for you that is definitely influenced by Melbourne and Australia. While I love dressing preppy -- I feel most comfortable dressed prep! -- some times I like to be more relaxed.




Melbourne style likes to move with the trends while still keeping true to your own individual style. At the moment the 70's are everywhere. The peasant blouse and denim mini skirt are both items that seem to be timeless. I could be wearing this outfit in another decade you would not be able to tell what the year was. As the preppy fashion is about timeless elegance and classic pieces, I will hold that this outfit is just as preppy as a button down shirt under a jumper. This out is the perfect example of Australian Prep!


This outfit seems like an Australian stream of preppy because it is so easy and relaxed, but it still looks like effort was put into the outfit. The myth that the Australian personality is relaxed is not completely a myth. Compared to American's attitude towards patriotism, for example, Australians are definitely more calm. This translates into our fashion. Preppy style can be a bit full on some times with the number of layers we can definitely put on, for example. But sometimes, especially during the Uni Semester, I want a simple and easy outfit that still looks good.

First off what I love about this outfit is how simple this was to put together! I threw on the blouse and skirt, tucked my shirt in, grabbed some neutral sandals and went out the door. I wear the same jewellery every day so I didn't even need to think about which statement necklace will work well to add a pop, or whether I needed some bracelets or not. 

Second, I love the colours! The peasant blouse is light and airy, which makes pairing it with a denim mini skirt was perfectly cool for the warm weather that is lingering with the changing of the seasons. However the dark navy, and orange details were the perfect nod to the fact that technically, it is Autumn now. 

My tote bag is the bag I have been using for Uni the past week. My parents bought it for me from The Metropolitan Museum of Art store we have in Melbourne so I could take it to Uni. It has been the best! It looks small, but it can actually fit everything I need for the whole day. Plus, I don't mind that I get to walk around Uni playing "Guess my major!". 

Shirt: Target - No longer available  | Denim Skirt: Forever New | Sandals: K-Mart (not online) | Tote: The Met Store Australia (gifted, no longer available) | Sunglasses: Rubi 

No comments